Wednesday, August 5, 2009

capturing seasons

Have you done any canning this summer? Is that even something you do? I haven't done it for a long time, but the image below is calling out to me.....also, a great thing to have on hand for a friend for a little something when the wintry weather has taken its toll. My aunt cans green beans from her garden that are amazing. What makes them so amazing? She pickles them with fresh dill. Yes, that's right....dilled green beans. They are the perfect compliment to a bloody mary. Imagine taking a jar of those to a brunch with friends. Yum!

image credit and canning jars here

7 comments:

Courtney said...

I don't think there's a better gift than something homemade from your kitchen. And using something from your garden too...well that's extra special! Dilled green beans sound delish.

slip4 said...

My mom makes "Dilly Beans" too. They are highly prized by my friends when I bring them as a hostess gift. And you are right, they are perfect with a spicy Bloody Mary!

dee said...

I've never done any canning but my cousin's grandmother is a pro at it. She makes the most delicious pickles, jam, and apricots. I am always dying for some when I fly out to visit!

BTW I loved your comment (to us both!) re: the corks. You are hysterical and a genius when it comes to this stuff. You should write a blog about cool gift ideas or something. Oh, wait... ;) xo

pve design said...

You are gonna make me cry. I love the memory of my Grandma canning pickles!
Nothing better than giving or getting a fresh jar in the middle of a cold and wintry winter!
pve

Debra said...

We love 'dilly beans'- we get them at the local farmer's markets. Then in the fall, we stock up so we can have them during the winter months. Aren't they fabulous? I haven't pickled or canned anything in a long time- but it's all so good-and such a sense of accomplishment.

ticklishfromadistance said...

I have not this Summer, but have such wonderful memories of doing so. Really need ti make it happen. These look amazing!

Nikki said...

We can green beans too. A ton of them. Last year we did 72 jars and we're already out. We call them 'hot beans' and use dill, cayenne pepper and lots of garlic! YUM!